jeudi 4 février 2010

The end of another school term... AGAIN?

Oh, I do love the French for their abundance of vacances scolaires!!!! Once again, another entry written in a small rochelais café! La Renaissance, 2 Place de l’Hotel de Ville... this is similar to my view out of the first floor window right now :


It’s the last week of term and I have had a ridiculous day today – one class at 8am, meaning getting a bus from home at 6.45am... and finishing work at 8.55am. This of course is a good thing, as i have the rest of my day to do what i want (read as : do nothing), but it does suck that I’ve been up since 6am! I’m drinking a petit café crème, surrounded by business meetings – I think I’m in the wrong place.

Daniel’s parents are at the house for lunch today so I am passing a few hours
here in town before going swimming and not turning up to eat with them. It’s nothing personal, they’re pretty nice people, I’m just getting very tired of the colocation lark and all its differences to living with my parents or living at uni. Essentially, I’m very ready to see my family and boyfriend again and I don’t think i could take a 2 hours lunch with 4 retired people. I haven’t updated this for far too long, I’m very aware.

School wise, things have been ok, I’m definitely still a lot more positive than before the Christmas holidays, even though some lessons have gone belly-up, I haven’t let that get in my way nor dishearten me.
I’ve had some brilliant adventures with the other assistants though, such as my first American football game chez Lee and Laura, went to see Stade Atlantique Rochelais play in the rain, various trips to Chatelaillon, dinner chez nous, tea parties in closed schools (some of my friends live in the schools they teach in, so being in a deserted lycée on a Wednesday afternoon is quite creepy!)...

Last weekend was fantastic – we went to do les soldes in Bordeau
x on the Friday (somehow we all had the Friday off work!), so ended up sitting in the bike compartment all the way there! I spent too much money, drank lots of demi-peches and got rained on! On the way back, we stopped off at the Carrefour near the station, bought beer and junk food and had a very enjoyable train ride home on the night train!!!



On the Saturday, Caroline and I went to Flunch for hangover food with Lee and Laura, and then played Jeopardy on my laptop all afternoon... then on Sunday, the parents were out so in the morning, we cycled to sunny Chatel to buy pastries, bread and wine, then we invited a few people over for a big lunch and Frisbee in the garden fun :) This is St Jean-des-Sables, the beach just one minute from our back door, then me looking ridiculous on my new bike in Chatel!








It sounds terrible that there’s not much to report on placement-wise apart from things being generally a little bit better than before! I do have one student who makes me very glad to be teaching – she is called Eloise and in my 3eme euro class. She always comes up to me after class and asks me for a list of vocabulary she’s read etc so i can explain it – she insists i explain it in simpler English so she can translate it into something she’ll understand later on! So, she’s read Twilight. All of them. In English. A few weeks ago, she came up to me and told me she was reading WUTHERING HEIGHTS. Bloody hell, i thought, i got confused by Wuthering Heights when i first read it a few years ago! She says that she understands most of it, and would I help her understand some of the key points and metaphors...? Well, of course I obliged, but was so happy yet baffled by this girl who speaks perfect English at age 14! No, she doesn’t have a British parent; in fact her father is German, so she has spoken German from birth! Crazy. Got to admire her though :)

So, I seem to be the only assistant in the area who has to work tomorrow, which sucks because i wanted to go on a picnic with the rest of them, but oh well... It’s nearly home time!
It’s a beautiful day outside – it has been sunny since La Chandaleur (French pancake day, which was Tuesday – apparently if you gorge on crepes in the evening, it encourages the start of spring – any excuse for the French to mange!) so I think I’m going to go and enjoy it while I can :)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire